Camping can be a great idea that allows the owners to take their dogs and spent some valuable time with them. Pets are just like part of the family. So it makes sense for owners to bring their dog along any trip, including camping.
One needs to get prepared before Taking a dog on a trip. It is a good idea to ensure that one has all the things that are required during the trip. The camping area mostly consists of a wide, beautiful and dog friendly environment. This makes the dogs enjoy and become happy.
- First of all make sure that the pet is properly socialized. They should obey the commands given by their owner.
- Always have the vet’s phone number as well as have a copy of the dog’s veterinary details. This helps in case of emergencies.
- Ensure that dog should have a suitable collar that indicates the ID tag having his name, owner’s name as well as address and phone number.
- Always make sure that the lead, collar and snap are in proper condition so that they don’t break in case of any sudden lunges.
- Micro chipping is a great idea for the dogs. This helps the owner and the dog to get united in case they are separated.
- Always take the dog to the vet before moving on a vacation so as to ensure that pet is ready to move on a trip.
- Have a first aid kit box that contains veterinary doctor’s phone. Have gauze that wraps the wounds. Bandages are required to control bleeding. Oral treatments may include scissors, tweezers, sticking tape, Vaseline, blanket, cotton wool, gloves etc.
- Have the phone numbers of the local vets. This helps to remain alert in case of emergencies.
- Always bring your dogs favorite food to make the pet more active and comfortable during the trip. Need help to pick a dog food? I recommend this article.
During the trip:
- Essentials: make sure that all the required things are packed including food, bowl, water, leads, toys etc. If you are going for a long hiking trip, remember to bring a water bottle for both you and your dog. I recommend Klean Kanteen based on the recommendations from outdooraid.
- stake: always make sure that something sturdy is there to tie the dog.
- Always have the first aid facilities in case of any emergencies.
- Dogs are mostly conscious about their bed in new surroundings. So it is better option to take their beds along with so that they don’t feel uncomfortable.
It’s always important to remember that dogs are quickly stressed when they are moved to new and unfamiliar areas. So, it becomes the responsibility of the owner to make them stress free and enjoy each and every minute of their camping with their owner. The owner needs to understand the temperament of the dog so as to cater for his needs and ensure that it becomes happy during the trip.
Apart from this one should familiarize all the situations or scenarios that he is going to experience in the later days of the trip. Perhaps one can even go on frequent vacations so that the dog becomes familiar with the environment. Always take all the necessary belongings of the dog that may be required during the trip.